Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Barbie Girl

So Abby got her first Barbie. It wasn't planned; she's really into unicorns these days (?) so after a particularly good and patient weekend I told her I would get her a unicorn. But once she rounded the Barbie aisle at the store, she was flabbergasted.

She was very deliberate, comparing the features of this Barbie to that Barbie. No, she didn't like the ballerina Barbie. Yes, she liked the Happy Birthday Barbie whose shoes and necklace lit up. (Ugh.) She loved Tiana from The Princess and the Frog ... until she saw Rapunzel, the Barbie from the upcoming movie Tangled. I don't know about every other little girl, but most of Barbie's appeal for me was her hair and Rapunzel has plenty of it. She even comes with extensions, for days when her floor-length hair is not enough.

Since it was her first Barbie, Abby didn't have any friends for Rapunzel (or Pretzel, as we call hair because Abby can't consistently say Rapunzel) so she made do with some stuffed animals, a Fisher Price horse and a bank/bust of Superman that belongs to the boys. After a day of watching Pretzel and Superman try to dance and flirt, I gave in and bought Beast (from Beauty and the Beast), the only prince I could find.

Abby and Pretzel immediately took to him.

"You want to come to my house for cookies. And then you can spend the night," Pretzel asked Beast, the minute she got him out of his box.

Come to think of it, I think that's how Bryon wooed me.