Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mr. Sandman


Sam has been going to bed much too late these days. It is not uncommon for him to still be awake and smack in the middle of his second wind at 10 p.m. Last night I first mentioned 'time for bed' at 8:30. Granted, Bryon is out of town so I had to put Sam and Jake to bed by myself. Jake was down at 8:50 and by the time Sam ate, used the potty (a nightly requirement), changed into jammies, brushed teeth, watched Teen Titans, read three books, watched one episode of Scooby Doo (I hate Scrappy, by the way), made one pillow fort, and pitched one fit, it was 10:48.

By 10:52, he was sound asleep.

I let him sleep in my bed since Bryon is out of town. I faked sleep for a few minutes to get him to close his eyes. When he finally quieted down and his breathing became deep and regular, I could tell he was asleep and I opened my eyes. In the dark, with only the bathroom nightlight and my poor, grainy vision, his profile looked exactly the same as it did in one of his earlier sonograms.