Friday, September 02, 2005

My Cup Overflows

Now more than ever I am thankful for all my blessings. I am nothing but blessed. So, it is with that realization that I re-tell yesterday's events. In the 12 hours since, they have taken on a comical bent. But do know that while they were happening I was fairly sure my brains were being puréed and would begin oozing at my ears at any time.

With that, we turn to yesterday's drive home. As I am leaving work I feel a headache coming on. The kind where you can only see out of one eye. The kind where looking one direction or turning your head is excruciating ... That kind. I pick up the kids and we are managing a fairly quiet drive home. Minutes from Bryon's office Sam begins to complain his stomach hurts. Those of you who know us know of Sam's pre-blog bowel problems, so I calmly tell him we will stop at Daddy's office and Daddy will take him to the potty. We stop at Bryon's office. All is well. By the time I get out of the car and open Sam's door, he is vomiting.

A physics or engineering class needs to study this because there was vomit in impossible places: on me, even though I was outside the car, down Sam's back, inside my purse in the front seat. You get the picture.

I get Sam out of the car (Jake sleeps through the whole thing ...) and strip him down to his Batman underwear. The pavement is hot so I stand him on two paper towels. I have ONE baby wipe in the car. It does not go far ...

By this time Bryon has arrived with wet and dry towels and we manage to get Sam cleaned up. His dirty clothes and Woo go in a plastic bag in the trunk. Things are shaping up. I hand Sam another plastic bag and tell him if the 'bad water' comes up again, he should spit it in the bag.

We head home. I ask Bryon to stop for toilet paper (we have NONE at home) and 7-up. Within minutes Sam starts with 'my tummy hurts.' At the same time Bryon and I say 'go straight home.'

At home we put both kids in the bath, start a load of laundry and peace starts to re-emerge. Bryon is cooking dinner, the kids are enjoying their bath, my headache is subsiding. I'm sitting next to the tub watching the kids, happy.

Outside the bathroom I hear our cat Nash. She is vomiting.