Sunday, August 21, 2005

Keeping Up

When I didn't have kids I swore I wouldn't be the parent who tugged at her child's hand, rushing, forcing the child to run to keep up. And then there was last Friday.

It seems the more of a hurry I am in (or need to be in) the slower Sam moves. I think some of it is deliberate. The rest is just the leisurely, distracted, notice-everything attitude of a 3-year-old.
So, back to Friday. Even though I was up nearly two hours before Sam or Bryon and nearly 3 hours before we had to leave the house, we left the house late. Most days are very flexible and as long as we back out of the driveway by 8:03 I make it to work at a reasonable, albeit, slightly late time. But every Friday I have to be at work by 9 .m.

On this Friday we still hadn't left the house at 8:17. When we get to school I realize Sam has taken off his shoes and socks. Then he is angry because he doesn't get to shut the car door. We always drop Jake off first together but because the foyer is blocked we have to take an alternate route through the building. And there I am speed-walking, dragging Sam, Jake flopping, when Sam brings me back to reality (and priorities) by saying, "MOM, you're making me crazy."