Tuesday, December 20, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

I realize it isn't even Christmas but I'm already whittling down my list of New Year's resolutions. If the world falls into two groups - those who make resolutions and those who don't - I'm firmly in the first group. Get organized. Volunteer. Eat better. Drink more water. Spend less. They aren't anything revolutionary. But I do always feel with the beginning of each new year there is new hope I can get my act together, financially, spiritually, personally. I'm not sure it's ever worked. (Maybe 'get a clue' or 'wise up' should be on my list.)

This year I've decided on two.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

This means exactly what it says. On an average day I am stressed because my bathroom cabinet is a wreck. There is no clear organization. The kids' medicine shares a plastic bin with ours. The towels are hastily folded and stacked lopsided. Diapers, toilet paper, tampons, old make-up, a broken scale and other discarded items litter the bottom shelf. Yes, the cabinet doors are shut. No, no one but Bryon and I get in there. Next year, the bathroom cabinet will not get the better of me.

Kill 'Em With Kindness.

There are a couple of relationships in my life that I'm not happy with. They aren't bad relationships. They just aren't what I think they should be - and not in the same way I think the bathroom cabinet should be perfectly organized, symmetrical and tidy. In these cases, time has marched on and not all efforts have been made to keep things friendly. Don't get me wrong, I am taking the blame. I expect things out of these relationships that I haven't given in return for probably a couple of years. My motto this year - the love you take is equal to the love you make.

I'm hoping to last until March.