Wednesday, November 23, 2005

XOXO

Sam woke up at 4:20 this morning saying "I just want someone to take care of me!" I covered him up, tucked his Duck and Woo under his arm, and he was back asleep in minutes.

One of my most used sayings is "I'm dancing as fast as I can." Depending on the situation, this can mean 'I'm busy,' or 'Help me' or 'You're a jerk.' Or it can mean I want someone to take care of me. That doesn't mean I want to be served food in bed or waited on hand and foot. But maybe it means a hug.

Yesterday I saw the movie Shopgirl with my girlfriends. There is a passing scene in which the Claire Danes character is listening to a radio show and the host is talking about the importance of hugging. The host says there is an actual physical need for hugs. 'Comfort' pheromones are released. (The main character ultimately chooses the man who hugs her.)

I hug my kids all the time. But Bryon and I don't hug. I can't remember the last time I gave my mother an unsolicited hug. My friends are big huggers, and it took me awhile to get used to it. I think I reserved hugging for a big event, and to hug after a long lunch when I'd see them again in 24 hours or after a dinner out somehow seemed sentimental to me. But I'm seeing the error in my thinking. I know how good it feels to give or get a hug from my kids. I especially like the 'nuddles.' It's the combination nuzzle and cuddle you get when your child buries his head in your neck. Bryon was fortunate to be on the receiving end of a double nuddle this morning. One sleepy boy on each arm, buried in his neck, their sweet little rosy faces inches from each other.

Most morning when Jake gets up early, all he really wants is to sit in your lap and hug. He fits perfectly in the crook of my left arm. Sometimes we watch TV. Sometimes we stare into space. Every once in a while, he will turn his head and look up as if saying "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Like Priscilla said earlier this week, if you ever stop to think 'what is the least I can do,' you will probably find out that most people just want to be taken care of. Think about your kids, your grandmother, a widower. What if the homeless person you pass every day on the street corner held a sign that said "I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE OF ME."