Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Happy Birthday Sam

Today is Sam's 6th birthday. A blogger I like writes monthly letters to her young daughter. This one's for you Sam.

It's hard for me to think of you at any other age than what you are right now - a 6-year-old. You are so sweet to Jake and Abby. I watched you sit across from her on the floor last night, play pattycake and talk baby talk, and it is obvious she loves you very much. I can tell that sometimes you are walking that hard line between acting like a big kid and letting your emotions get the best of you. I don't know if it is because there are 3 of you now, or because you are so sufficient, but I realize you've been lost in the shuffle lately. I had hoped that you and I would be able to spend some one-on-one time together each day, but I don't think I'm using our time wisely. I'm going to work on that. I'm going to be more patient and more interested in your video games and action figures. I won't get frustrated when you lollygag over your homework. I'm not going to let you go to bed without a hug and a kiss and an "I love you." I'm going to appreciate the smart, funny, perceptive kid you are becoming. I hope you'll be patient with me too.

I'm proud of you and I love you and even though I wish I could stop time, I look forward to watching you grow and learn and change. I know I'm supposed to be your mom first and foremost, but I can't wait to be your friend too.