Friday, September 10, 2010

Occupied

Every Thursday when the boys have their music lesson, I drive through Burger Street and get a 44-ounce sweet tea. I consider myself somewhat of a sweet tea connoisseur, and I find for drive-through sweet tea, Burger Street is about the best. The added bonus, it's $1. For a trough of ice tea. A cup so big it defies my car's cup holders.

Forty-five minutes later, when I pick up the boys, I have usually finished the 44 ounces, although I realize it is unnatural to consume that much liquid in so short a time. This usually means that the minute we get home - the second - I have to use the bathroom. That can be difficult in our house, however, because the kids need help in, someone usually forgets something in the car, the gate has to be shut, the pets have to be petted. This was the case last night.

Although I ran straight for the bathroom, Abby caught up with me, anxious to tell me about her day. Tag the Dog followed me, well, because he follows me EVERYWHERE. Felix the Cat loped in, winding around my legs to signal he was hungry. Sam stomped in, dealing with a potential Nintendo DS crisis (he'd left it at his lesson). Bryon walked to the end of the hallway to see what Sam was yelling about. And there I was, using the bathroom with an audience.

I was just about to lose it, I mean really lose it when Abby interrupted her soliloquy to say, "Momma, your butt is terrific!"

That almost makes up for the lack of privacy.