Tuesday, December 07, 2010

December 6

Another "planned" not-so-random act.

On Monday Sam's church choir sang at a retirement community. I took some boxes of hot chocolate mixes and handed them out to residents and choir teachers.

And like most events that involve the church, hymns, Christmas carols, Sam, youth or old people, I did my best to not sob the entire time. (For the record I also cry during the national anthem, anytime veterans are recognized, when I see members of the Armed Forces, at Sesame Street live, the circus, my kids' Christmas programs ... the list goes on).

As I sat there and listened to the choir sing I watched all the old people in the audience, who seemed so enchanted, and wondered how the meaning and spirit of Christmas changes when you get older. If you don't have family or young people or children, does Christmas become more about whatever religious meaning it holds for you? Do you become bitter or melancholy? Does listening to children sing carols make you happy or sad or wistful?

I know that the meaning and spirit of the holidays is different for me than for my kids. And I think one thing I need to remember, if I get bogged down by to-do lists or weather or commitments, is to celebrate and enjoy the holidays as my kids do. Sure, for them it's about presents. But, even if they can't articulate it, it's the spirit and the frivolity and the family. Even Jake, my little ball of hate, asked me if we were going to have a Christmas like last year. When I asked him what that meant he didn't mention the presents, he mentioned the family.