Tuesday, June 14, 2011

May the Force Be With You

When we moved into this house 10 years ago there was a life-size Virgin of Guadalupe painted in the upstairs bedroom, the bedroom that was Jake's nursery and is now the boys' room. I suspect a lot of potential home buyers saw the Virgin (and the pies, flames, hot rods and Elvis portraits) the homeowner before us painted all over the house and ran for the door. But not me. I thought it added character, substance. In time we painted over most of the art work, including the Virgin. I went to a nearby Botanica and purchased her candle. We said her prayer and painted over her.

Who would've thought that years later she'd be replaced by Han Solo.

Sam's guitar teacher is also a painter. I saw some of his murals online and asked him if he could paint Han Solo for the boys.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Over the weekend he spent about eight hours and by Sunday afternoon it was done. If I had a large enough wall in my bedroom I would be considering Princess Leia or maybe Sandy from Grease or possibly Billy Idol. Yes, Billy Idol.

See for yourself. (To understand how large it is look at the one with Abby. Han is about 8 feet by 6 feet.)