Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Higher Meaning

So there are a few things I dread hearing in our house. Things like, "What's the cat playing with?" or "What's Tag eating?" are always tops on my list. From the kids, I always worry when I hear, "Mom, don't be mad" or "I need a towel." Lately Abby has added "Pretend you're taking a nap" to the list. This means she has made a mess somewhere and needs time to clean it up.

Like yesterday. It started out innocent enough. "Mom, pretend you're taking a nap and I'll draw you a picture." (Pretend?! I can do you one better!) And sure enough a few minutes later she produced a pink and blue drawing of me, surrounded by stars and hearts and .... white interior semi-gloss latex paint? The same paint I used in the hallway earlier in the week.

"Abby, it's a really pretty picture. Where did you get the white paint?"

"I'll show you. It's so interesting. It's Baby Jesus interesting!"

Apparently "Baby Jesus Interesting" is the highest form of interesting. Kind of spectacular and serendipitous and forbidden all at once.

It turns out she didn't make a mess at all - unless you count the multiple rolls of toilet paper she'd unwound trying to wipe paint off her hands. But there was no paint on the floor or her dress.

Now that's Baby Jesus interesting.