Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Little Man


The older Sam and I get the more I recognize the very powerful influence a parent has. The more I believe in 'nurture' just as much as 'nature.'

With that I fully acknowledge that I am trying to mold Sam into a particular type of man. I want him to be funny, sarcastic, spontaneous, clever, romantic, resourceful and ... fashionable. I will admit I sometimes use bubblegum to bribe him into wearing a certain pair of shoes (Jesus sandals, we call them) because they look so much better than the silver and red, zip up the front, Spiderman shoes he loves. I was more than disheartened this weekend when he asked for a blue, black and silver sports jersey from Old Navy. Shiny, net sleeves, big 'ol angry tiger logo on the front.

Over the weekend, though, I did manage to get him in one of my favorite outfits for Audrey's birthday party. I even persuaded him to bring her a bouquet of daisies. Now if I could just get rid of those Spiderman shoes.