Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Now, About That Spill

As I said below, Sam fell on his new Batman bike the day after Christmas. In a scene much like the infamous work-day chase, Sam started out just a few feet ahead of me pedaling down the sidewalk. I went from a fast walk to a jog, then to a sprint, trying to catch up with him. He wasn't pedaling anymore, just sticking his feet straight out to the side while the bike careened and bumped down the sidewalk. All the while I was shouting "BRAKE, BRAKE" and trying not to laugh. Just like the other incident, I soon realized he was heading straight into the intersection.

Then he turned his head to look at me over his shoulder and the bike hit a rock and crashed. It wasn't funny but the elements were so familiar - him on the jerky bike, out of control, me running after - that I had to laugh. It didn't help that when Sam finally untangled himself from the wreckage, he stood up, kicked the bike and yelled "DAMN IT!"