Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Sign Me Up

Today I signed Sam up for skating lessons. On January 16, he'll have his first lesson. My nephews skate, my brother-in-law skates. Bryon and I don't do much of anything so this is my attempt to get Sam started somewhere.

I completely understand (I didn't say condone) parents signing their kids up for every activity under the sun. Although I would like to think my motivation is a little different than some - I'm just hoping that in all the skating, guitar, swimming, soccer, basketball, etc. Sam will find something he enjoys and maybe even has a knack for, and it will be something he can enjoy all his life. He doesn't have to go to college on it or win some medal playing it. Just something he'd like to do on a Sunday afternoon. I don't have many things I like to do or am good at (I don't believe spending money, sulking or sleeping qualify here) so I would like it to be different for Sam.

That said, I think he may be a 'quitter' like I was as a kid. I don't have much evidence for this theory, other than a recent spill on his new Batman bike. And the roller skates he got for Christmas last year. As a kid I didn't like the flute, although I seem to remember my teacher telling my mom I played well, so I quit. Gymnastics (or acrobats as we called it then) gave me a headache, so I quit. I can't remember why I quit dance lessons (I would give just about anything to be able to dance now.)

So, Sam, this is me living vicariously through you.