Monday, April 24, 2006

Oh Yeah?!

On Saturdays Sam plays soccer in a neighborhood league coached by our neighbor Blackie. It's called the Dream Team. About 30 kids, ages 3-6, who put on their jerseys and shin guards and gather for 90 minutes at the park at the end of our street. Blackie is great with kids. You could imagine how coaching 30 kids could be but he does it. They listen, they run through drills, they play soccer.

Except for Sam. I'm afraid he's following in my footsteps in that he doesn't really like to "do" anything. Sure he likes to put on the uniform but he doesn't want to play.

So after soccer this Saturday I sat him down and tried to get him to look at my face while I asked him whether he wanted to keep playing. I told him there is a thing called commitment, and that means that when we told Blackie we would come and play soccer on Saturdays, that we made a commitment. To Blackie and our teammates. I said that means you go and play for one hour each Saturday. You don't have to think about soccer the rest of the week, but when you are there, you are THERE. You can't play sometimes and not play others.

Just when I thought maybe I was making my point he said, "Well, that's how I roll."