Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Best Policy

When Nash died last week I decided to be honest with Sam about her death. I'd been preparing him by saying she was sick and one day very soon she might not be with us anymore. When she died last week I sat down with him and asked him if he remembered that Nash was sick. I told him when we got home from Grandma Becky's, Nash wouldn't be at our house anymore because she had died. He didn't seem phased.

But shortly after, he started asking questions about when I would die and where would I go. This Sunday on the way to church he asked when he would die and if I would be with him when it happened.

It's a difficult line to walk - I don't want to lie to him about Nash or make too big a deal out of something he most likely won't remember. But I don't want to scare him either. I know that talking about my death or his, especially, is very scary for me.