Thursday, January 10, 2008

To Abby


(also known as Abby Dabby Do, AbbyGirl, Smidge, Miss, Beauty, or, as your brother Sam calls you, Mrs.)


Yesterday was your first birthday. Although you obviously won't remember it or the day you were born, for that matter, I will. You were quite a surprise, Miss Thing. But, from the moment I met you I have been in love, absolutely smitten. From your wispy hair to your dimply elbows to your perfect niblet toes. I love your ready smile and your plump little hands that may someday sport pink polish and wear a wedding ring. I love your fascination with your brothers.

You have made my life complete. You have filled up the corners of my heart. Because of you I see the world differently. I see the possibilities and pitfalls and not a day goes by that I don't think about how I hope to help you navigate both.

I hope to be a good role model for you. I hope that your Dad and I can set positive examples of how to love and support and provide for someone you love. I hope your brothers protect you and teach you. I wish so many good things for you and look forward to every moment I am blessed to spend with you.