Friday, July 31, 2009

My Hero

Bryon's birthday was Monday and like always, I fretted over what to get him. I think I've picked some great presents in the past (BBQ tools, cookbooks, grill accessories, Tivo), but he's not the most effusive gift receiver (sorry Bryon) so it's hard to tell if he likes something.

Once again this year I thought I had perfect ideas. He'd been complaining about our Calphalon and I found a set on sale at the Crate and Barrel outlet. He'd been asking for recent photos of the kids for his office so I framed some of our latest and greatest - Sam in his baseball uniform, Jake in a formal photo from school, and Abby from her dance recital. And lastly, I loaded the digital picture frame he got for Father's Day so he can finally use it.

Despite all that, there wasn't the unexpected WOW gift. Something he'd like but never buy himself. I decided that would be Guitar Hero.

You see a week ago, on our east Texas vacation, the resort's arcade had Guitar Hero and one evening while Abby (yes Abby) "played" video games I stood and watched several boys expertly play Guitar Hero. I SO wanted to play. (I'll make a confession here that I feel the same about Dance Dance Revolution. I should get it to play at home because I am too embarrassed to try it in public.)

So the cherry-on-the-top gift for Bryon's birthday was Guitar Hero. Partly because I thought he'd like it. Mostly because I REALLY wanted to play.

And play I have. And I am GOOD. It is honestly the most fun I've had in a long time. I created my own avatar - a bitchy, punky leatherette named Ember - and I am slowly working my way through the set list. Tonight I might even get out the black leather Harley Davidson jacket I bought during a weird college phase and play some Metallica.