Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summertime Blues

I will be the first to admit that I'm thrown off this summer. Without Sam's school schedule to motivate us, there is no hard and fast schedule to our days. Plus, I'm not very creative when it comes to summertime activities. I may be if it weren't 105 degrees outside but it is. And when it's that hot, you either want to be inside, where it's cool, or en route to somewhere where you'll be inside and cool. So needless to say we've been spending a lot of time inside. All day. All weekend.

On one hand I think it's good for the kids. I think boredom can stoke imagination and lead to creativity. On the other hand, I'm sure they aren't getting the physical exercise they need. Unless destroying my couch and injuring each other with light sabers counts.

But late yesterday I realized we had probably reached the apex of boredom when Jake came screaming through the kitchen naked while Sam, also naked, chased him with the beaters from my electric mixer. I don't know what they were doing. I don't want to know. Although they were having fun, I quickly ended the activity.

And the beaters went right in the dishwasher.