Monday, May 18, 2009

LegOhs

On any given weekend we don't do many things as a family. Not for a lack of trying - it's just that birthday parties and baseball games and lessons and work travel often keep us all from moving in the same direction.

But this Saturday Sam's baseball game was rained out so we all headed north to a mall in the suburbs because The Lego Store was opening. Yes, Legos. The toys you can get at any toy store, Target or Wal Mart. But we drove 20 miles in the rain to a mall that I hate to go to the opening of The Lego Store.

In retrospect we could have skipped the store. The draw was that you first got to help a Lego Master Builder build an 8-foot R2D2. We should've counted our blessings and said our goodbyes then and there. But each kid got a Master Builder certificate, which you could only redeem ... IN THE LEGO STORE. Which was halfway across the mall. Which had a line to get in. A 2-hour line.

We all made it about 15 minutes in the line before I suggested I take the kids upstairs to the food court for a snack and a ride on the Merry Go Round. For the next 90 minutes one of us was up and down with any one of the kids trying to entertain. Why we didn't just walk away I have no idea. Minutes before getting into the store Jake needed to use the bathroom so Bryon took him. Cue Abby's first meltdown. When they returned we all squished into The Lego Store, only to have Abby try to grab everything she could get her hands on and have Sam and Jake decide they wanted the very first thing they saw.

Then we got to stand in the purchasing line, which comprised more than half the people in the store. Which led to two registers. Two. Abby's grabbing and flailing was making me very anxious so I took her back up to the food court for another ride on the Merry Go Round. Cue Abby's second meltdown. This one was so formidable a circle of teenage boys gathered around, mouths agape, so I locked us into the breastfeeding room, put her on the floor and let her have her fit. She arched and rolled and screamed. After what seemed like an hour my cell phone rang. Bryon and the boys had left The Lego Store and were looking for us.

Exhausted by the waiting and the crowds and phased by the expensive purchase, we decided to eat in the food court. Nuggets. Yes, we must get nuggets. But everywhere we went were more lines, more people, more yellow Lego bags.

Things didn't get much better when we got home. As I've said here before, I don't like Legos. And I'm sure after spending the next four hours putting together Lego City and the Lego Star Wars starship and a Lego Bonneville horse, Bryon doesn't like them either.

So much for my good intentions. It was a wasted day. Everyone but me had a meltdown, we spent more money than I care to admit and today, where are these Legos? Not sure. Sitting here I see a scattering of them on the kitchen counter. I know in the next few days I'll probably step on quite a few, kick some under the couch, find some in my pockets.

One thing's for sure. The next time the kids want Legos, I'm going to Target.