Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Let the Games Begin

I returned to the office yesterday after a week-long vacation and a week working at home due to personal obligations, personal preference and a botched field trip. And I have to say, I was looking forward to it. Sitting at my desk, focusing on work. Peace. Quiet.

I was so deceived by the peace and quiet I decided I would pick up all the kids, run a quick errand, then take them to one of our favorite toy stores and Purple Cow for dinner.

Things were still looking up when I picked up Sam at 5. And remarkably traffic was so light I made it to Jake and Abby's day care around 5:40, which gave us plenty of time to make my errand - picking up a CraigsList purchase in North Dallas at 6:30.

At 6:39 I picked up my item, silently congratulated myself on hitting all my "deadlines" and headed to the toy store, only to find out the toy store had closed at 6.

I spent the next 20 minutes explaining to Jake and Abby that we couldn't break in and take toys, but that maybe after we ate, if everyone was cooperative and patient, we could stop at another store on the way home. After lots of tears everyone agreed and we headed to the Purple Cow. Thankfully we were just about the only people there but it started to fill up as we ate. Or, more accurately, as Sam ate. Jake refused, citing a stomach ache and blaming the cheeseburger for his tendency to get headaches (I think the screaming and tantrums may be the cause, but I'm not a doctor.) Abby wanted nothing but the stuffed purple cows the restaurant was selling.

After a very quick meal, I took Abby to the bathroom, Sam hid the stuffed purple cow, we paid the check and skedaddled. It was then everyone realized no toys had been procurred.

So I came up with a plan. And I sold it ... hard.

Every other Saturday at our house will now be Toy Saturday. On Toy Saturday we will visit two of our favorite toy stores. The kids can buy anything they want, provided they have enough toy points, which they will earn over the course of the week doing simple chores like putting away clothes, feeding Tag the Dog, picking up toys, sharing with a sibling or generally being clean, responsible and nice.

Jake wasn't sold on Toy Saturday. "I won't get a toy NOW," he complained.

We explained the program to Dad, made a chart for the fridge and are going to earnestly follow Toy Saturday for one month. I am hoping it cuts down on the impromptu, point-of-purchase buys we make and encourages the kids to take some responsibility.

In 12 hours we've had some success. Jake and Sam put away their clothes last night, and Jake beat me to Tag the Dog's feeding dish this morning because he wanted his points.