Friday, December 04, 2009

Sayeth the Lord

As I have recounted many times, the minute Bryon goes on a business trip, something happens at home. We've had minor malfunctions like the air conditioner quitting during a hot week in July. We've had major disruptions like Sam getting strep throat while I was home on maternity leave with a six-week old Abby. ("Can you keep him away from the baby?" the nurse asked me.)

And so it's no surprise that a mere five hours after Bryon's plane took off from Dallas, one of my kids was puking. This time it was Sam. I picked him up from school and after first noticing the circle of blue around his mouth, I noticed how pale he was. "I have a headache," he told me.

We'd been in the car two minutes when I looked in the rear view mirror and realized he was vomiting. In his lap, on the floor, on Jake's backpack. It was blue too. "Why is it blue Sam? What did you eat this afternoon?"

"It must've been the icing," he said.

I got him home and into a hot bath. By early evening he was curled up in bed. I gave him a dose of Tylenol for his headache and turned my attention to Abby and Jake. A couple hours later Sam came downstairs, bored and hopped up on Tylenol.

Let me back up a little and say that Sam hasn't missed a day of school this year. I'm not one to send a sick kid to school, but his perfect attendance record is important to him and he didn't want to break it. Plus, he was supposed to be reciting a poem during morning announcements - a poem he is also reciting at an academic competition Saturday morning.

When he came downstairs feeling better I explained to him that it was the Tylenol and he probably was still sick. (I'm thinking strep - he always vomits when he has strep.) But I was leaving it up to him. If he felt OK in the morning I would take him to school. If he didn't, he really should stay home. Maybe he could do the announcements on Monday morning.

He went upstairs to brush his teeth but was downstairs a couple of minutes later. Obviously this decision was causing him some anxiety.

"Just now I was upstairs talking to the Lord," he told me. "And I heard a voice that said 'You will.'"

"You asked God about school tomorrow?" I asked him.

"God and Santa," he said.