Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Accidentally On Purpose

You know that John Lennon song that says "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."? While I completely agree, I would also add that life is what happens to you when those plans don't pan out.

As I write this I'm sitting in bed with Abby while she watches Olivia. I'm not sure our bedtime ritual would get the American Academy of Pediatrics stamp of approval, but it works nicely for us and has evolved to become my favorite part of the day.

You see, we tried every recognized and regarded technique for getting Sam and Jake to bed when they were toddlers. Sam would stay in his bed, but he wanted you to lie on the floor next to him. And then he'd sleep with one eye open to make sure you didn't leave. Jake just wouldn't stay in his bed. By the time we needed to establish a good bedtime routine with Abby, suffice it to say we were too tired and too defeated.

But what we have come up with accomplishes three important things. First, it gets Abby in bed at a reasonable time. Second, it allows us to spend some quality, quiet time together. And lastly, it indulges one of my favorite pastimes, lounging in bed. We watch TV, we snuggle, we read. And eventually she turns to me and says "Goodnight Mom" and voluntarily turns over on her tummy or crawls onto my chest and goes to sleep. I get to hold her, quiet and heavy and still.

Despite all our early issues getting Sam and Jake to bed, they go to bed easily now. A book, a kiss, a hug and a tuck in is all it takes. Some day soon it will be the same for Abby.

Not too soon I hope.