Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summertime Blues

So summer is fast approaching and rather than being excited I'm actually a little anxious and wistful.

See, late yesterday in the middle of rush hour traffic in 97-degree heat on the first day of my period in 4-inch heels after drinking a 44-ounce Diet Coke to soothe my migraine, I drove 20 miles across town to spend $500 to reserve two spots in a summer camp for the boys where they know no one.

And suddenly my visions of lazy summer evenings in the backyard were replaced by visions of rush hour gridlock traffic, evenings spent in the car, impatient, hungry kids and drive-thru dinners.

Since my mom worked in an elementary school her summer schedule, with the exception of a couple of weeks, was like ours. That meant we weren't shuttled from camp to camp all summer long. We had idyllic summers full of sunbathing and swimming and play dates and bike rides and ice cream.

It may turn out fine. After all, they do have a lot of fun activities and field trips planned over the summer - most starting earlier than a school day. I guess I had just always hoped to have at least one summer that was relaxing for them and me. As they older and their summers get harder to plan, I'm afraid the opportunities for those carefree summers are slipping away.