Friday, May 07, 2010

Her Perspective

This week Abby's teachers asked the moms to bring their own baby pictures so the kids and parents could play a Mother's Day version of Guess Who. They pasted the photos onto flower shapes and the kids answered questions about their moms to create a profile. This is mine, according to Abby:

My mom likes to eat waffles. She likes to work in her office. Her favorite color is yellow with green stripes.

I realize that on any given day Abby could've answered a hundred different ways. But I am a little bemused by her description of me. First, I don't like waffles. I happen to think that pancakes and waffles are two of the world's most overrated foods. Second, I would've rather her said my mom likes to cuddle or read to me or watch cartoons, like a few of the kids did. (It could be worse, however. Thanks to a candid kid, we now all know that one mom likes to eat tacos and use the potty.) And as far as the color, I would've sworn she thought my favorite color is pink.

So my goal for the weekend is to be the mom that I want Abby to think I am.