Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Different Kind of Role Model

We have one of those DVD players in our minivan. Although we originally vowed to use it only on long trips, we use it all the time. As it happens we typically leave the same movie in for a long time - at least until Bryon and I tire of hearing it and change it out. But we've been lucky, I think, because the kids' choices in movies are bearable. The Disney classics, the Pixar catalog, Scooby Doo, Schoolhouse Rock, even old episodes of the Muppet Show.

But recently in a moment of weakness I bought Abby a Strawberry Shortcake movie. I don't have a problem with Strawberry Shortcake and her buffet of fragrant friends - I even had Strawberry Shortcake dolls when I was younger - but Strawberry Shortcake the DVD personality is snarky, melodramatic, haughty and bossy.

But I feel somewhat vindicated. You see "Strawberry Shortcake" is quite a mouthful for a 3-year-old like Abby.

Instead she calls her Strawberry Hor-cake.