Friday, July 09, 2010

Rainy Days

Nearly the minute Bryon pulled in the driveway tonight with all 3 kids it started to pour. Rain so hard everything looked foggy. I thought I would help out by waiting on the porch with our largest umbrella, ready to usher everyone in. But Tag the Dog thought it would be a good time for a jog. You see, he's afraid of the rain. But in an amusing, annoying twist, it's during the hardest rainstorms that he decides to run, like a bat out of hell.

At first I thought I'd let him go. Surely in rain like this he wouldn't go far and he'd soon be home, literally wagging his tail behind him. But the rain didn't stop him. Soon enough he was 2 blocks away, crisscrossing the street, peeing at every opportunity.

Rather than get upset I kicked off my shoes, pulled off Abby's shoes and socks, grabbed Tag's leash and went after him. We caught up with him and once he saw the leash he was happy to come to me. We shoved him in the house, dried him off and went back outside.

This turned out to be the best time of my week. Soon Sam joined us and we walked the street, racing leaves in the rivulets of rain, counting the emerging snails, jumping in puddles.

After awhile we got chilly (in Texas ... in July ....) and came in for warm baths, pizza, popcorn and a movie. If I could get rid of that wet dog smell, it would be perfect.