Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Treat

So I woke up in a good mood this morning, refreshed, ready for the day. Bryon is out of town so it was up to me to get everybody up and ready and out of the house by 7:30. And we managed to do it smoothly, dare I say happily. So much so that as I was driving to work I thought how could I not be thankful on a day like this. A day when my kids are healthy and happy, when I'm fortunate to be employed, when we all have breakfast in our bellies.

But over the course of the day my mood soured. Not sure why. Road rage, another 95-degree day, a seasonal migraine, kindergarten homework, two more loads of laundry. So after the boys went off to play soccer with our neighbor I fixed Abby a "dinner" of apples, grapes, cheese and crackers, and when she finished we cracked open a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

Since I'm trying to set a good example, I skipped the apples, grapes, cheese and crackers, and went straight to the ice cream, Chocolate Fudge Brownie. I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to ice cream, in that I would rather have a spoonful of something full fat, full sugar than a gallon of anything "lite."

"This ice cream makes me smile" Abby said.

Me too.