Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Blog's Honest Truth

One thing about blogs, memoirs, autobiographies ... it is possible - and tempting - to sometimes exaggerate. To lie even.

That said, I am finding my December 'random acts of kindness' initiative harder than I expected. Harder isn't even the right word. Inconvenient maybe. Elusive. Even though I look for opportunities each day, I am finding them few and far between, unless they involve me buying something for a stranger or giving someone food or flowers. My so-called random acts have become very intentional.

I did keep it up until December 11, even though I last blogged about it on December 7. In the last few days I have let an overwhelmed mom with a crying baby in front of me at the grocery store, even though I had one item and she had a full cart. One day I took out my neighbor's garbage cans (and made Sam bring them in). One day I bought coffee and donuts for a homeless man.

I suppose I could've changed my definition of a random act and taken an easier way out - if I simply wouldn't succumb to road rage I would accomplish several kind acts each day - because what I'm finding is that the small interactions count just as much. Saying hello to strangers on an elevator. Smiling at everyone who passes you in the mall. Done and done.

I guess I was looking for more substantial opportunities. Those pay-it-forward moments you just know are going to change someone's day. But I'm not giving up. I don't consider this experiment a failure yet. It has made me aware of those moments when a small interaction - random, anonymous or otherwise - can lift your sprits a bit.