Sunday, January 02, 2011

Resolve

Yes, I am making new year's resolutions. No, I don't expect to follow all of them. I could simply say I want to be better - I think that summarizes this list - but that could be hard to measure so in no particular order, I want to:

1. Get exercising again. I started last year and actually felt really good. I was more awake, refreshed, limber, rested. But as it happens, I dropped off toward the end of the year. My goal is to be able to run Dallas' Turkey Trot next Thanksgiving.

2. Start sewing. This is always on my list. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for. My sewing machine and a couple hundred dollars worth of fabric and supplies sits in the corner mocking me.

3. Be less snarky. I'm awfully cynical and a middle-aged cynic is not as much fun as a young one. And now I've noticed that my kids tend to be cynical and snarky. This is not something I want to pass on. My penchant for trivia or spelling prowess, maybe, but not my cynicism.

4. Use less laundry detergent. Yes, this is a goal. Do you measure your laundry detergent? I didn't, until recently, when I realized I use about three times as much as I need with each load.

5. Drink less wine. Let's just say that if I drink even one glass of wine I wake up oogy. It's not worth it. Instead of reaching for a glass of wine when I'm stressed I'm going to drink a glass of water and run around the block. That or eat a bag of Fritos.

5. Watch more TV. Good TV, that is. I spend a silly amount of time online reading gossip and coveting homes I'll never own. Instead I'm going to watch TV. I've heard a lot about this show called 30 Rock. (Kidding, sort of.)

6. Buy less, experience more. We (I) buy the kids a lot of junk. This year I am going to buy them less and introduce them to more. Local museums, the theatre. I want to take Sam to some concerts. I want to visit the Trinity River Audubon Center. And this year, a family vacation.

7. Get financially fit. Hi, my name is Ann and I'm a shopaholic. I really am. I am that person who shops because I'm sad, because I'm happy, because I deserve it, because I'm mad at you, because the kids drive me crazy. This year, that will stop.

So here I go. Onward and upward.