Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Happy

So Saturday was Jake's 7th birthday. First of all, geesh, seven. If I really try I can remember the first few weeks and everything that's happened since Sunday.

We didn't have a party for Jake on his birthday for several reasons. Firstly, I'm a loser. Secondly, Jake changed his mind about a party several times, up to and including the day before his birthday. Thirdly, you would be surprised at how many venues don't seem to need birthday party business and hence, do not return calls or emails. And lastly, you would be surprised at how many venues think $1200 is an appropriate fee for a child's birthday party.

So instead of a party Jake got to dictate the day, and believe me, for Jake, that's probably better than a party. He didn't have any outrageous requests so despite his "it's my birthday so I can do whatever I want" attitude and his siblings "it may be his birthday but why does he get to do whatever he wants" attitudes I think the day was a success.

He had a monster cinnamon roll for breakfast. Grandma Fran and Grandpa Larry came and we all went to the zoo. Then we went to Target so he could spend his Target gift cards. For the next couple of hours he and Sam played with his new Legos, and for dinner we went to Dave & Buster's so he could play games and win an Angry Bird.

After Dave & Buster's he got to have a camp out in the living room, pick 3 TV shows to watch, and stay up way too late. A good day for a seven-year-old. Heck, a good day for a 37-year-old.

I'm thinking seven might be a banner year for Jake. He loves school and homework, seems whip smart and may even be taking an interest in those drums he's been learning for a year now. He's learned to read and ride his bike. It's funny that for the time being Jake seems to be coasting ...

I love this photo from the zoo. As you can see from Jake's face he is relishing his day. Sam and Abby, not so sure.