Sunday, October 09, 2011

Punch Drunk Love

So Abby and I have this inside "joke." Whenever she does something silly or funny or gets away with something naughty, I ask her, "Abby, what's it like to be you?"

The first few times she didn't get it, but now whenever I ask, she responds with, "Pretty good, actually."

Since the boys are camping with their dad this weekend I have been with Abby 24/7 all weekend, and while I agree it is "pretty good" to be her I think hanging out with Abby is a little like hanging out with a drunk college girl.

Example: Whenever she leaves school she runs to every classmate to give them a hug and tell them she loves them.

Example: Yesterday she'd walked about 2 blocks with one of her shoes loose and flopping. She'd tolerated it that long because she was too busy singing You Are My Sunshine as loud as she could. But when she decided to stop and fix her shoe she hiked up her dress (to reveal her Halloween-themed underwear), plopped down on the busy sidewalk and proceeded to fix her shoe.

Example: We recently had some new bedroom furniture delivered. Abby immediately fixated on one of the delivery men, then stood on the patio, winking and blowing kisses as he traipsed in and out of the house.

Example: Last week the kids and I were at a restaurant waiting for our food when Abby noticed a handsome man at the next table. After staring at him for awhile she slowly got out of her chair, walked over to him, tapped him on the arm and said, "Hi. Do you like rock and roll?" (She was about to serenade him and wanted to know if he preferred Joan Jett to Debbie Reynolds.)

So really, what's it like to be so uninhibited, confident, affectionate and shameless? I can only hope she is able to keep those qualities as she gets older - through puppy love and heartbreaks, past the "mean girls" and callous boys. I hope she can be confident not arrogant, uninhibited but careful and wise. Loved and loving.

I hope that no matter if she is 5, 15, 25 or 50 I will be able to ask "What's it like to be you?" and she will honestly say "pretty good, actually."