Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Halloween Tricks

I'm not sure what got into me (or didn't get into me) but we kind of ignored Halloween this year. I have tubs full of decorations that remained in storage, the few scattered pumpkins on our porch were never carved, candy was bought at the last minute.

Maybe I was picking up on Sam's disinterest - maybe he was picking up on mine - but he didn't want a costume or want to trick or treat this year. Neither did Jake until he saw Abby, who was oblivious to our lack of Halloween spirit.

Eventually Jake donned a costume and he and I made a few loops through our neighborhood.

And it was a beautiful night. The air was cool and crisp, there was a sliver of a moon, the trick or treaters were friendly and excited, neighbors chatted on the sidewalk.

And now, midweek, the costumes have been put away, the candy has been picked through and a cold front is on its way.

Time to work on the Christmas spirit.