Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Moving Up

So today Abby and I turned in her kindergarten paperwork. Yes, next August Abby will be a kindergartner. I know she's excited for 'big school.' Me? I'm cautiously optimistic. For whatever reason she just seems younger, smaller than the boys did when they started kindergarten. I feel much more protective of her.

Maybe I'm just not ready for the cattiness and the drama that comes with little girls. And boy, can I see it coming. I swear we were not like that as little girls, but then again, we adored Laura Ingalls Wilder and Jessica McClintock dresses, not Miley Cyrus and Juicy sweatpants.

But, Abby's excited. Excited to share the halls with her brother. Excited for the playground. Excited to read books. The biggest hurdle, besides the adjustment in her schedule, is the school uniform. As I got her dressed today I explained that next year she'll wear a uniform, just like her brothers. Just like every other boy and girl at big school.

"But mine will be pink, right?"