Thursday, November 08, 2012

Facts of Life

So, Sam's first 'girlfriend' was Mia, a former classmate. Mia's brother Milo often comes to our house to play. He's a year younger than Jake and a year older than Abby so it's perfect ... Sometimes he plays with Abby, sometimes with Jake. (He's a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll.) Sometimes he rides his bike or scooter home and sometimes Mia comes to get him. Although Sam is clearly smitten around Mia, he usually refuses to talk to her. After a particularly frustrating and disappointing exchange I reminded him that the brief moments when she is here collecting Milo are perfect occasions to talk to her. Ask her about her day, talk about school, talk about Milo or Abby, do something besides lock yourself in the den. To prove my point I started a practice conversation as Mia. After discussing Halloween candy and Jake's peanut allergy for a minute or so, Sam started making a face like he'd seen someone vomit, and I left the room.

"Mom!" he called me back in. "You know that I'm just kidding when I act like girls disgust me?" he said.

"Really?!? You mean they don't? You mean you might be starting to fancy the ladies?"

He just grinned.

This is gonna be good ....