Thursday, August 15, 2013

School Daze

About two weeks before school ended in June, I gave up. Homework sheets were rarely signed, uniforms weren't laid out, lunches were thrown together, bedtimes were missed, reading logs were skipped. I was so ready to put homework and PTA and carpool and field trips behind us for awhile. With summer in sight, I just let go of the reins.

And now, with less than one week until school starts, it's time to grab those reins.

There are bags of school uniforms, supplies, new backpacks and lunchboxes strewn across the dining room. The kids are going to bed at 10:30 and getting up at 9. No one eats on the same schedule, the house is a mess, Jake was counting money today and skipped 4 and 5! It is time to get back to school.

I am desperate to clean the house without having to redo it minutes later. I am desperate to serve and clear breakfast only once a day. I would like the cushions to stay on the couch all day, instead of the floor, which is where they spend most of their time now. I don't want to watch another episode of Good Luck Charlie or lift the furniture to search for another lost Lego. I am tired of ice cream and sprinklers.

I think the kids have had a great summer. I, too, have enjoyed the relaxed schedule, but dear Lord, enough is enough.