Sunday, July 07, 2013

Let Me Explain

The movie Pitch Perfect and its soundtrack are on heavy rotation in our house. And our cars. And our iPods. While some of the songs are completely inappropriate for the kids, I have to admit I'm enjoying the kids enjoying the songs I loved in the 80s and 90s. It took some convincing for the kids to believe that "Hey Mickey" was a popular song when I was younger. I had to show them the video to prove it was originally sung by a girl.

But what was harder to explain was the concept of music videos and MTV. I told the kids I remember the first MTV music video I ever saw (Land Down Under by Men at Work) and how I stayed up for 36 hours watching MTV the weekend we got cable. MTV was the Facebook of my generation. The Xbox. The iPad. Bryon and I spent a good deal of time extolling the wonders of MTV and the early days of great music videos. But the kids were nonplussed and unimpressed.

In the end I never thought I'd feel so old talking about MTV.