Monday, April 22, 2013

What a Friend We Have in Cheeses

So it's no secret that Jake and Abby have a complex relationship. Just like the Longfellow poem, when it's good, it's really, really good. But when it's bad, it's horrid. Because of Jake's barbs and insults, which I try my best to counter, Abby will either end up with extremely low self-esteem or she'll be thick skinned because, boy, Jake can be cruel.

Yesterday was a good day, in that they spent a lot of time together, just the two of them, playing outside. Yes, outside. In nature. With no electronics. They actually got dirty.

And by bedtime Abby was smitten with Jake again. So much so that her entire bedtime prayer was about him. "Dear God ... I love my mom and dad and my brothers. I hope that one day Jake will tell me he loves me and that I'm the best sister." So sweet, so genuine and earnest. And then.

"And thank you for cheese."