Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sugar and Spice

When I was a kid I used to like looking through the J.C. Penney catalog and marking the items I liked. It was how we shopped for everything from back-to-school clothes to bedroom furniture to Christmas presents. It is such a fond memory for me that I was nearly in tears when I recently found the 1980 Penney Christmas catalog online. I remember this catalog. I remember the cover, and I certainly remember many of the clothes and toys inside.

I'm not sure my kids would even know what a catalog is. But Abby has found something similar. She likes to click through Google images. She'll pick a topic, and look at the thousands of photos Google returns. This week she started with wolves and Boxer puppies and yesterday it was clothes. She was clicking through sundresses and shorts when she found a photo of a denim shirt and skirt. It wasn't exactly cute - stonewashed, with laces up the sides and back - imagine rodeo queen meets dominatrix.

"Now this," she said. "This would be perfect for next summer. Can we keep an eye out for this?"

"Yes, we can try to find an outfit like that before the summer," I told her (lying through my teeth).

"But I want it in leather."