Monday, February 10, 2014

She's Got Skills

Abby recently started skating lessons, and based on her history with sports and organized activities of any kind, I wasn't sure how it would go. But I lured her in by promising a skating outfit if she finished out the 8 weeks (that was before I knew how much those ice skating outfits cost. Geesh. Are they designed by Bob Mackie?). She agreed and we are now on week 3.

And while she is slowly getting better, the best thing is that she doesn't want to quit. She doesn't complain about going, doesn't get upset when everyone beats her across the ice, doesn't look at me with those wounded deer eyes when she falls. She, as the song goes, gets back up, dusts herself off and starts all over again.

After Saturday's practice, both her coach and I told her how much she was improving and the best thing she could do was keep coming back. When the coach left, Abby turned to me, and very proudly said, "Now I have two skills. Ice skating and friendship."