Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hey Good Cookin'

Bryon and I are carpooling in an attempt to save gas and money. We all pile into his car together in the morning, drop off Bryon and then the boys and I head north. I admit I enjoy it. Leaving in the same car at the same time creates a sense of unified purpose in that our mornings are about a common goal -- getting everyone into the car so we can leave together in relatively good spirits. The best thing is it is a way I can assure Bryon will be home at a decent hour.

Most nights Sam asks if he can go into Daddy's office when we pick him up. Last night was one such night. I told him he could choose: Go into Daddy's office or go straight home and play with Delta, Sam's friend and neighbor. We hadn't seen her since before our vacation and the night before she'd called and left a sweet little serenade for Sam on our answering machine (Beeee my friend. My friend. Beeee my friend. Come and plaaaaaayyyy.)

He chose Delta. "You and me and Jakey and Delta can play trains, right Mom? Daddy will cook."

"Why can't I cook?" I asked him.

"You're not a good cooker," he said. "You're a good driver, but not a good cooker."