Monday, October 03, 2005

Hi My Name Is ...

We are visiting a new church. The last time we went Sam didn't enjoy the children's room. He played by himself most of the time (unusual for him) and the other kids kept to themselves. So when we said we were going to church, he wasn't thrilled. (Truthfully I wasn't either. I don't like putting the kids in the church 'nursery' when they are in day care all week long.)

But yesterday Sam got cleaned up, put on his Jesus sandals (without the bubblegum bribe) and went along. As we were walking into church Bryon was reassuring him. "Now what do you do when you want to meet new friends?" he asked.

"Say 'Hi, My name is Sam. I'm 3 1/2 years old. What're you playing? Can I join in?'" Sam replied.

It was so sweet and sad and touching. You just want it to be so easy for them. And to think he's got a lifetime of those awkward moments ahead of him is heartbreaking to me.