Monday, September 26, 2005

A Bee In My Bonnet

Sam and I got stung by bees on Saturday.

We were outside trying to enjoy the weather before Hurricane Rita hit us (it never did). Our neighbors were in their front yard watching bees come and go from a flower patch. I've never
been afraid of bugs or insects (unless they are spiders, especially Daddy Long Legs, which give me the willies because of their aptly named long legs) so Sam and I got close to watch and talk about bees and flowers and nectar.

Apparently one buzzed too close to Sam and it sent him running, flapping his arms and swatting at his head, all things I've heard you never do when a bee gets close. Too late, he'd been stung. Right on the earlobe. In the commotion another bee stung me on the top of my head.

I tried to focus on Sam because he was pretty upset, but sweet cracker sandwich, it hurt. Not only was the initial sting painful, but the vast amounts of 'venom' that are apparently in a bee sting soon filled the left side of my head and neck. I was afraid I was going to look like the Elephant Man.

I gave Sam some Motrin and put Anbesol on his earlobe. (I figured if it worked on gums why wouldn't it work on skin ...). He soon calmed down even though his ear looked a little like a red cauliflower.

I figured he was over it when about 30 minutes later I asked to see his ear and he showed me the wrong one.