Friday, September 30, 2005

One Year Later


This time last year I was in early labor with Jake. I remember it like it was yesterday - getting up at 2 a.m. and telling my mom it had started. Bryon leaving early to meet a colleague for breakfast. My nephew John Wyatt calling frequently to ask how I was.

I had a doctor's appointment at 2 and I was sure she'd admit me so Bryon and I went together with my little suitcase. She assured me I was progressing but I should go back home because it still might be a couple of days. Bryon and I decided to go see Garden State but it had already started so I got a raspberry tea from the bagel shop and we went home.

Within a few hours the contractions were stronger and closer together. I tried to nap. Bryon wrapped things up at work. We took pictures with Sam. In those photos my belly looks so red and stretched and tight and BIG. It's amazing to me to think that just right under that skin, barely an inch away was little Jake. And even though I'm smiling, minutes later I'd be doubled over again.

At 9 p.m. Bryon and I said goodbye to Sam and my mom and left. At 2 a.m. Jake was born. Just 24 hours earlier I'd been padding around our house. And I have to say I loved being in labor. Not the pain. Anyone who says they LIKE the pain is loopy. But the anticipation, the sense of purpose. Being there, delivering a baby, while the world around goes to work, sleeps, watches TV, drives home listening to the radio. It feels so extraordinary. Kind of like you're the only person who has ever done it.

And now, almost one year later, Jake. Goofy, lovey, stubborn, independent Jake.

I recently found out a friend is pregnant and I have to admit, I'm envious. I would love to do it one more time. But I know I will have to do some persuading to get Bryon to agree with me.

But as I've said before, what a difference a year can make, right?