Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Red Alert

Since most of my friends and neighbors are enlightened and empathetic people, I tend to forget I live in a red state. Not that I like to be reminded. But reminded I was yesterday when we voted on several state and citywide propositions.

Again because of my typical daily surroundings I actually thought Proposition 2, the state's ban on gay marriage, might not pass. Everyone I know was voting against the ban. Every yard sign in my neighborhood said "Defend! Don't Amend." So I was actually surprised to see on the front page of this morning's paper "Gay-Marriage Ban Coasts."

In this sickening article state Republican Party Chairwoman Tina Benkiser says, "Let there be no doubt that Texans, not liberal activist judges, will decide how best to keep our families and state strong."

If she believes that allowing only heterosexuals to marry keeps 'our' state and families strong, she hasn't been paying attention. Divorce rates for heterosexual marriages are nearing 50%. As a group, the 'traditional, heterosexual' marrieds have nothing to boast about. We certainly shouldn't be holding ourselves up as an example. That is, unless you are as sanctimonious as Ms. Benkiser.

Conservative activist Kelly Shackelford, who helped write the amendment and led the campaign, acknowledged that most younger voters probably opposed the amendment, but added, "That's just a part of being young and immature." He believes that as young people "gain life experience," they'll "realize the importance" of traditional, heterosexual marriage.

I don't follow this argument. As I've gained life experience I've recognized the importance of love and compassion and empathy, in any form. If a child gets that from two dads, two moms, a single mom, whatever.

Rep. Warren Chisum, the Republican who authored the amendment, said Texans are "very family-oriented, and given the opportunity, they'll vote conservative. They still have a lot of moral values."

Apparently they lack compassion, empathy and sensitivity.