Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Rise Up and Reach Down

I was fortunate to get to hear Anna Quindlen speak last night at SMU here in Dallas. I thought I was going to miss it; as we were driving home the car started to knock and smoke. I almost made it to Bryon's office but the car died about four blocks short. It's amazing how many people a) don't understand what hazards mean, and b) don't even roll down their window to inquire whether a woman in a smoking car with two kids in the backseat might need some help. Another day, another entry.

Anyway, Bryon and two coworkers pushed the car to his office, and then offered to take all of us home (Thank you, Brad).

All that to say that I thought I was going to miss the lecture. It started at 8. We got home at 7. But Bryon got dinner going, the kids settled in, and I left.

In hindsight I wish Bryon would've gone with me. I'm not sure she would've made the same impact on him but I would've like for him to hear some of the things she said. Kind of my way of poking him and saying "See! It's not just me. She thinks these things too!" I intended to take notes but after the first few minutes I realized what I really needed was a transcript of her speech; everything was noteworthy.

She was comforting, validating, optimistic, accurate, compassionate and realistic. She was able to put into words many of the thoughts I have rumbling in my head from day to day. Thoughts about working mothers, communities, day care, corporations, public schools and children. Now if someone asks me why I choose to live in urban Dallas, I have an eloquent answer.

She believes, as I do, that it takes a village to raise a family. That kids shouldn't be isolated and that by raising them in a community and teaching them the value of community service, we will create a generation that is tolerant, respectful, generous and conscientious.

After leaving I felt I really was on the right track. A little bit of relief and optimism.

Now, if we can just get the car fixed.