Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I Feel Pretty

I've mentioned before how Jake likes to hold little things in his hands - golf balls, spice jars, a single Lego or graham stick. Well, in my car I keep two little pots of Born Lippy raspberry lip gloss from the Body Shop. They are about the size of a quarter and perfect for him to hold onto when he's dropped everything else I can hand to him over the seat.

We were a few minutes from home last night when he started futzing as only he can. The shrieking, back-arching, throat-clearing futz he's famous for. Bryon (we're carpooling again) handed him one little pot of the lip gloss. (I think the other one was already on the floor). Peace and quiet.

But soon, a strong raspberry scent emerged from the back seat. Somehow Jake had twisted the top off and scooped all the lip gloss out. It was smeared around his mouth like a manic clown and he was squeezing fistfulls of it in each hand. In mere seconds it was all over his face, the car seat, his pants, and in his hair and ears. I joked that maybe we should just set him and the car seat in the yard and hose them both down.

Several wet ones and two loads of laundry later the lip gloss is gone. Jake and the car still smell like raspberries.