Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day

Jeffrey, the Valentine fairy, made a visit to Sam and Jake early this morning. Each of them got a Batman action 'figger.' I have decided, I mean Jeffrey has decided, that whenever possible they will get the exact same toy. Not only does it prevent fights but it creates a toy back-up system when one of them tires of the toy.

The toys came in handy this morning when I realized I hadn't addressed any of Sam's 17 classmates' Valentines. About a week ago I stayed up specifically to pack 17 goodies bags with Sweet Tarts, suckers and candy dots. But sometime between then and this morning I forgot to address any of them. We had explicit instructions to write "To my friend" on each Valentine (political correctness begins early) so while they played Batman and ate yogurt Cheerios (which are awesome, you must try them) I scribbled "To my friend, Sam Romine" on 17 Valentines.

We had to be early to school this morning because Sam had a field trip. We missed the last one because we got stuck in traffic and the bus left without us. I haven't lived that down so we left early and got there early, all to be certain we wouldn't miss this trip to the 'li-berry.'

Sam and Jake were in their rooms by 8:15, too early for me to go to work (not really but ...) so I got a Starbucks and drove back to school, parked in the back of the parking lot and watched the kids get on the bus for the field trip. I don't know what I was expecting - kids galloping, clasping hands, smiling, slow motion from the building into a perfect yellow school bus, waved on by happy teachers. But out they came, single file, Sam in front. And away they went.