Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wash Me

At the beginning of the year I wrote about how I wasn't going to let my bathroom cabinet get the best of me this year. And so far it hasn't. Now it's the backseat of my car.

Despite my best efforts (OK, my mediocre efforts) the backseat is evolving into a fruitcake. It is glossy with dried apple juice (because I continually kid myself that Jake can successfully drink from a juice box), studded with Cheerios, bits of dried bananas and Goldfish crackers. I know it is difficult to keep a car clean, especially when you have two little ones in it an hour a day. But I so want to be the person who CAN keep the car clean. I want their car toys in nice little wicker baskets at their feet. I want those net organizational thingies on the back of each seat, stuffed neatly with Kleenex, Wet Ones, spare water bottles, CDs (in the correct jewel boxes).

But instead, on any given day the car is full of toys, banana peels, smashed crackers, days-old McDonald's drinks, dried wipies, and usually a random shoe. Yesterday we were coming home and Sam yelled out, "Hey, where did Jake get that lollipop?" And I had to say I didn't really know, but perhaps if he fished around under his car seat, he'd come up with a treat too.

Oh well, there's always the bathroom cabinet.