Friday, October 05, 2007

Let's Talk Politics ... and Vomit

So Sam and I were driving to day care at lunch today to take Jake his car blanket. He forgot it this morning and since he's about as predictable as a rattlesnake I thought it best he have it before nap time. We managed to get the blanket to his teacher without Jake seeing us (yes, I snuck in and out of daycare) and were back in the car driving home when a story about President Bush came on NPR.

Both of us were quiet during the segment, but when it was over Sam said "What happens when a president is bad?" (Proof that little pitchers have big ears.)

"Well," I started. "If a president is really bad, he may get impeached. That means he doesn't get to be president anymore. But sometimes he can do bad things and nothing will happen to him."

"Do we think the president does bad things?" he asked.

Here is my chance, I thought, to have a meaningful, important conversation. Tell him something informative, enlightening.

"Well, yes, I think this president does bad things. But it is up to you to learn all you can, read all you can, listen all you can and decide for yourself if he makes good decisions or bad decisions," I said.

I thought maybe I was actually making some sense. He paused.

"Is there such a thing as blue puke?"